Warm weather is here at last. Many of us can’t wait to get out in the sun and “work on our tans.” Unfortunately, there really is no safe way to tan – a tan is actually damaged skin.
Did you know your risk for skin cancer doubles if you’ve had five or more sunburns? Keeping your skin protected from the sun is imperative, because 90% of all skin cancers are caused by sun exposure.
What’s happening when you have direct sun exposure?
Ultraviolet light penetrates the epidermis (top layer of skin) causing the skin to react by producing melanin, a.k.a. your suntan. Most people think a tan gives skin a healthy, youthful glow, but over time it causes a change in skin texture, wrinkling, age spots or worse – cancer.
What’s the difference between UVA and UVB rays?
The sunlight that reaches our skin is made up of two types of harmful rays:
long-wave ultraviolet A (UVA) and short-wave ultraviolet B (UVB). Ultimately, UVA rays age skin, UVB rays burn it and overexposure to both is damaging.
- UVA rays penetrate the skin’s thickest layer, called the dermis. Unprotected exposure can lead to suppression of the immune system and cause premature skin aging. A weakened immune system means a higher risk for developing skin cancer.
- UVB rays typically burn the superficial layers of the skin. Intensity of UVB rays varies with seasons, location and time of day. Sunburned skin not only feels terrible – it also causes permanent damage over time.
- A third type of ray, known as UVC, is the shortest and the strongest kind. Luckily UVC rays are absorbed by the ozone layer and don’t usually reach the Earth.
What’s the best way to protect your skin this summer?
By applying sunscreen, of course! Aesthetics at Illinois Eye Center is pleased to offer COOLA® Organic Sunscreens. COOLA sunscreens are created from the finest natural and most scientifically advanced ingredients available. This line of signature sunscreens is moisture-rich, containing organic extracts, vitamins and age-defying antioxidants, formulated to promote healthier-looking skin.
- COOLA’s Face SPF30 Unscented Moisturizing Sunscreen hydrates parched skin and provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection. It’s a perfect daily moisturizer that can be worn under makeup.
- COOLA’s Body Moisturizing Sport SPF45 Unscented Sunscreen is perfect for those long and active days in the sun. This unscented SPF45 organic sunscreen is sweat and water resistant, designed to protect skin from UVA/UVB rays. What’s more? It’s even endorsed by the American Lifeguard Association.
Protect your skin naturally with COOLA and love your SPF – it could save your skin and your life.
Visit our website for additional information on the COOLA Organic Suncare line or contact Aesthetics at Illinois Eye Center at (309) 243-3875.