Steven J. Lichtenstein, M.D.
Dr. Steven J. Lichtenstein is a fellowship-trained specialist in pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus. He completed his internship at the University of Louisville Affiliated Hospitals in Louisville, Kentucky and his residency in ophthalmology at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Lichtenstein continued with subspecialty training at Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital in Massachusetts where he completed a fellowship in pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus.
In 1988, Dr. Lichtenstein began serving as an Instructor for the clinical faculty in the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science for the University of Louisville School of Medicine: from 1990 to 2005, he served as Assistant Clinical Professor.
He is currently an Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery and Pediatrics at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at both Peoria and Chicago. Dr. Lichtenstein has been named Medical Director of Pediatric Ophthalmology at Children's Hospital of Illinois.
Dr. Lichtenstein has lectured extensively throughout the United States and Japan on Pediatric Ophthalmology and ophthalmic pharmacology.
He has served as the Chair for the Section on Ophthalmology of the American Academy of Pediatrics and is Past-President of the Peoria Medical Society. Dr. Lichtenstein was elected to the Marquis Who’s Who In Medicine and Healthcare® for the years 2009-2013, to the Marquis Who’s Who in America® from 2009-2014, the Marquis Who's Who in the World, 2012, 29th Edition, Marquis Who's Who in the World 2014, 31st Edition, and has recently been elected to Marquis Who's Who in the World 2015, 32nd Edition.
Born and raised in Philadelphia, and lived in Louisville, Kentucky for 29 years. Dr. Lichtenstein and his wife, Pam, an ophthalmic medical technologist with the Illinois Eye Center, reside in Peoria. They have three children, the eldest is a former Staff Sergeant in the Air Force, the middle, a graduate of the University of Cincinnati, and their youngest, a graduate of the United States Naval Academy.
Pediatric Ophthalmology, Strabismus Surgery
- B.A.: LaSalle College, Philadelphia
- M.S.: University of Louisville
- Doctorate of Medicine: University of Louisville
- Internship: University of Louisville Affiliated Hospitals
- Residency: Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Fellowship in Pediatrics and Adult Strabismus: Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital
- Fellow: American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Surgeons
- Faculty: University of Illinois College of Medicine, Peoria and Chicago
- Board Certified: American Board of Ophthalmology